for 15 servings
Sambal Heh Bee is prepared by pounding dried prawns and frying it with a spice paste till it is dry. It has a slightly sour flavour because of the tamarind used. A versatile dish, it can be taken with rice or used as a condiment to go with ladies fingers or angle beans in place of Sambal Belacan.
- 350 gm Dried prawns, pounded
- 150 gm Tamarind / Asam Jawa, soaked in 300ml water
- 2 stalk Lemongrass, finely chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic, skinned and minced
- 30 gm Dried chilli, soaked in water, seeds removed
- 150 gm Shallots, skinned and minced
- 16 gm Turmeric, finely chopped
- 23 gm Shrimp Paste / Belacan, toasted and broken up
Seasoning / Garnishing
- 8 tbsp Oil
- 4 tbsp Sugar
- 1.5 tsp Salt
- 5 Kaffir Lime Leaves, sliced finely
Sambal Heh Bee
Amount Per Serving
Calories 133 Calories from Fat 72
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 1g6%
Vitamin A 530IU11%
Vitamin C 4mg5%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Steps to Prepare
- Wash, Dried and Pound the Heh Bee (Dried Prawn).
- Soak the dried chilli into hot water, soften.
- Grind dried chilli into paste.
- Spice paste ingredients pound into paste. Mix together with chilli paste. Make sure the belacan has to be toasted before add in.
- Heat up a wok of oil and tumis spice paste (until split oil). Add in dried shrimp and stir fry until dry and fragrant.
- Squeeze tamarind paste with 300ml water. Pour tamarind water (without the seed) into the wok. Add in salt and sugar for seasoning.
- Simmer the sambal with low heat until paste is dry. It takes around 10-15 mins, keep stirring.
- Add in kaffir lime leaf at the very end and stir evenly.